Thursday, February 22, 2018

We do school at home...and sometimes I don't like it very much...like today.


Most days I love that we homeschool.
I am very blessed to have the daily opportunity
to sit around the dining room table with my children.

I teach, they learn, we also laugh and talk and have fun together.
I feel like I know my kids deeper, know who they really are, I know their hearts.
I love that I get to spend so much time enjoying their childhood right along with them.

Today however...was not one of those days.

It started at 6am with an empty whipped cream can.
How is one supposed to fully savor her morning coffee without whipped cream on top?

Then...the location of my scissors. The pink ones I bought for ME!
Sitting in mud, on my front lawn where the snowman melted and they cut string.

Then..the messy-ish house. I hate messy.

The "missing" schedule?..the one no one remembers me passing out.

By the time I finally sat down to do school...I was not in a good frame of mind.

Do you want me to tell you how our math lesson went?
No, no you don't. I never knew subtraction could make a person so angry.
..and I'm not talking about a child. yeah...not my best moment.



I had to run out and do a few things later in the afternoon...
I was by myself and I had time to think.

Everything I was aggravated about earlier in the day, they were all selfish things.
My scissors.
My whipped cream-less coffee.
My time...I didn't want to sit at the table do math with my kids!
I wanted to work on other things that I wanted to work on.

You see...when we choose to homeschool, it's a commitment.
I'll be honest...sometimes I don't feel like keeping that commitment.

Everyday is not perfect around here.
Sometimes, just as much as kids don't feel like doing school...neither do I!
Some days I just down right hate the thought of sitting
with a lesson plan book opened up before me.

..and on those days, little things that are no big deal, turn into a big deal
once they start piling up...and a mom can lose her cool over the ridiculousness.

We homeschool moms can get into a slump, am I right?
{Especially this time of year}

If you feel like you want to throw in the towel..you're normal.
If you feel like you can't do this anymore....you can.
If you feel like you aren't cut out for this job...you are, you're a great mom.
If you feel like you want to scream and light math books on fire..
...go ahead and light em up!!!!..oh wait, maybe don't.

What I'm trying to say is...
You are going to have bad homeschooling days...weeks even!
Don't expect perfection...that is not reality.

Reality can be a mess. and messes are okay.
They can be cleaned up!

Get in the car. Go to Starbucks and buy yourself a skinny, vanilla latte..
..tall in a grande cup..with extra, extra, extra whipped cream!

Then pray! I'm telling you...there is a peace that only God can give.
I promise when you return home, things will look better.

It's just a bad day, not the end of the world.
You've got this homeschool mom! You are amazing!




*Note to self...remember to read this on a weekly basis*
XxOo

No comments:

Post a Comment