Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Finding the quality in quiet and mastering the word no while not buying back to school supplies quite yet.

I was watching the early morning news on this sunny June day....
...Office Depot ran a back to school advertisement.

NOOOO!!!
Why can't we enjoy summer and not think about going back to school quite yet?
Didn't our kids just finish up the last school year?

...and I get it.
Some people like to be prepared and I too am a sucker for that new pencil smell. ahhhh...
...but there is something fun about buying supplies closer to the start of the school year.
It's like buying a Christmas tree in August...it's not time yet!
Why do we ALWAYS have to be celebrating ahead of time?

One of the things I have learned while being forced to sit
around this spring/summer due to a never ending miscarriage..Grrrr..

We, {people} don't break between our moments. I don't think we really know how.
We're not encouraged to in this day and age. The age of "planned activities".

Our culture is always on the go. We are a country of the "Yes" people.

We say yes, yes to everything and we run, run, run to the next, to the next, to the next
and never stop to catch up to our own lives.
We're busy. We're stressed. We overdo it.
We never say... NO.

We fill every square on our calendar.
We don't have a minute to spare.....and we do it to ourselves.
{pointing finger are MYself}

I was sitting on the porch steps late one morning...
I watched as my kids and the neighbor kids ran to the mailbox across the street.
They said hello to the mail man and grabbed envelopes and sale papers.

Yes! That! That is what I want. That is how I want my kids to spend their summer.
At a slower pace...saying hello to the mailman. long summer evenings.
pancakes for breakfast while they plan out their backyard adventure.
riding bikes around town. picking flowers along the ditch. lemonade stands.
...all the things that feel like they are from another era.
I want that to be my kids era.

I want them to learn to find happiness in small moments.
I want them to see the quality in stillness and quiet.

It's where we think and pray and grow.
I don't want to take that gift from them by setting an example of busy.

We circulate articles like this and articles like this around our Facebook pages.
{love this woman's blog ^^^btw}

We share them, we love them and want our lives to be like that..yet we never put on the brakes.

We live at a constant high speed and I've been wondering...
How are we going to feel when we look backwards in years to come?
Did we enjoy people?
Did we have time to relax in the beautiful homes we worked so hard for?
Did we talk around the dinner table?
Read books before bed?





{What fidget spinners do to droopy peonies on the breakfast table..mom rolls eyes}


I'm practicing and mastering the word no.
Don't be surprised if you see me wearing this shirt with tape over my mouth.

Now go enjoy an iced coffee in your backyard while listening to the birds chirp.
XxOo

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to your "NO"! I jumped off the train to stroll the streets a few years ago and it has been life changing. It sneaks in -- in funny places. Like church, leadership, doing good things even... I have always been that person...but allowed the expectations of what I should be - change me. To just BE instead of just DO.

    “But you can’t have yes without no. Another way to say it: if you’re not careful with your yeses, you start to say no to some very important things without even realizing it. In my rampant yes-yes-yes-ing, I said no, without intending to, to rest, to peace, to groundedness, to listening, to deep and slow connection, built over years instead of moments.”
    ― Shauna Niequist, Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living

    ReplyDelete